Monday, September 04, 2006

Lifesong

This morning I went for a run and I was listening to my MP3 player that Josh got me for my birthday. Besides being able to power myself a little faster because of the upbeat tempo of the songs, I was able to "transcend" above just a common outing -- and into a true time of worship.

The sun was streaming beautifully in the late summer sky. The trees were lush and green, at the peak of their summer glory -- magnifying God with every leaf. The song I was listening to was "Lifesong" by Caedman's Call in which the refrain "let my lifesong sing to you!" is sung over and over. I truly felt that the work of my muscles and sweat on my skin was singing to the Almighty God above, because my thoughts were so stayed upon Him, and I was so thouroughly happy in those thoughts. I wasn't thinking about my strides, pace, breathing; I wasn't stuck dwelling on my body and how out of shape it is. I was just glorying in Christ. And then I realized. I couldn't hear the sound of my footsteps. I couldn't hear myself breathe. I was able to break into a HUGE sprint right at the end, and sense nothing except the words of the song, and speed of the wind on my face. It was amazing! The closest I have felt to flying!

It dawned on me that our Christian life would be just like that -- we would be able to go for tireless sprints -- if we could completely block ourselves out of our minds! I think I get more and more muddled when I am over-self-analyzing. Trying to be "perfect" is so secondary to just worshipping the One who is Delightfully Perfect!

5 comments:

Hayden405 said...

That is so awesome...there is really no other way to describe it...Only a true and living God could create such peace and joy! Thanks of sharing...I'll have a better day...

I could use a jog...or two...or twenty...

Gretchen said...

Thanks! I am trying to build up the mileage so I can run the mini with G-Knee next year! :)

And I have a correction to make on the song -- it is by Casting Crowns, not Caedman's Call. Easy to mix up!

James and Christen said...

Hey, this is Christen!

Anonymous said...

Gretchen - that is so cool. God is so gracious to give us those times when we are truly stayed on Him. They are the BEST! Keep on - girl! (although-I'm not sure I could ever run the mini!! but keep me posted, just in case!)

James and Christen said...

Wow, that was really inspiring! It almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the edification today.

I have been working on my blog and I think it is coming along now. Thanks so much for helping me get it started!