Monday, March 16, 2009

My Mom's Quiet Time

Mom's funeral was beautiful. It was a lovely, solemn, precious day. We were so blessed to have over 500 people at her visitation and funeral, including many family members from both my dad's and mom's sides of the family. How sweet to have them all gathered together! How precious to honor Mom and praise Jesus together!

One of the things that we have found precious is the journals and notebooks Mom has written in. We found prayers here and there in notebooks, and whole journals just for prayer, and taking notes in church and her devotions. It is humbling to see how much she prayed for her children (and what she prayed, of course, is even more humbling, because you see what she saw that perhaps you did not see back then). My sister Anna read from Mom's Bible at the funeral, and remarked on how much Mom wrote in it, and how special it was to have Mom's thoughts on the Word as a legacy to us.

For example, John 14 "Let not your hearts be troubled, ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." Mom wrote next to this passage -- "To be comforted". What a gift God has given us through Mom's writings, speaking to us still.

In her quiet time this year, she wrote in August "I can walk before the Lord in the light of the living until God's plans for me are finished. My life won't end one minute before God wants it to." She had been reading Psalm 56 "In God I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." What a treasure these words are to my soul!

In September she wrote "No matter how things look, God is in control". Writing this to assure her own soul, and speak truth to her own heart is priceless. It speaks to my heart now, telling me to trust in God's sovereignty.

On the Monday before she had her stroke she wrote "God knows and plans everything."

These writings are so sweet to my eyes, and honey to my heart. It is a peek into her very soul, showing the intimacy of her walk with Jesus. What a legacy for us! I considered not sharing them here in such a public way, because they are such a treasure, but I hoped by doing so, you would be encouraged to trust God and be comforted, in whatever affliction you are facing. I also hoped to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ to deepen their walk with the Lord, spending time in His Word every day. And when you get the chance, write about it! My mom was not trying to write profound things for us to read; she was merely meditating on the passage. It certainly has spurred me on to pull my prayer journal more often, and I hope it does the same for you.

16 comments:

Chrissy said...

Dear Miss Gret,
I have been praying for you these last few weeks and am so glad that the LORD has comforted you through this difficult time. It is a blessing that your mother was a believer in our wonderful savior. What a wonderful thing to be able to read her daily devotions and see how she trusted in Jesus. I pray that someday I will be comforted as you have been comforted in our Lord Jesus Christ in a difficult time. Blessed be the name of our great savior.

Love,
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

I LOVE John 14! What a comfort to know that the Lord has prepared a mansion for us!! And to know for sure it IS a REAL PLACE!! Sioby

Katie A. said...

Thanks for sharing this Gretchen! How sweet to have her words written in and about the Word to one day show your own daughter what a woman of God your mother was. It will be a lasting memory and legacy for your whole family. I can't wait to see you so I can give you a big hug which I have been saving for a long time. Much love sister!

Katie

jillybean said...

Thank you for sharing this. It was just what I needed to hear today to bring me back to His purposes and plans. I am so thankful for the amazing treasure you have in your mom's journals. Those are sweet, sweet words to read. thinking of you often.

Robin said...

Gretchen, thank you for sharing from your Mom's writings and thoughts. It has encouraged me to be even more diligent in leaving this legacy for my daughter (and any future grandchildren).

Love in Him,
Robin

Anonymous said...

What your mother journaled is also a comfort to those of us who were privileged to call her "friend". I have journaled for years, and go back once in awhile and re-read what is on paper. Sometimes I don't believe I wrote that stuff. But, know that at the time, it was what God wanted me to say at that moment. You and Josh are such a blessing to me. Love F

Sarah said...

What a testimony of a woman living close to her God! I pray that I can live that kind of life....one that is constantly searching His Word and LEARNING from it!
Thank you for sharing, Gret. What a beautiful mother you had, inside and out. Love you....

Rebecca said...

My mom told me about all your mom's journals, Gretchen, and that is something we had in common and never knew. I have journaled for over 30 years and I hope that one day mine will be as precious to my kids and your mom's are to you. They will find in mine a child who grew into a very insecure young woman, who hopefully has grown into a woman of grace. You all are still in my prayers. Know this too, Gretchen, that your mom's legacy also lives on in her children. You are all amazing and I'm so glad Amy could see the love you all have for the Lord. I think it impacted her more than we will know.

Anonymous said...

Gret, My heart is overflowing with joy from the special service we had on Friday. It hard to explain the graet peace I have but also the lonlinesss for the small cchit chat and passing touches we had. Thak you for being faithfull in honoring your Mother and me...Love Dad

Amber Smith said...

Gretchen-
I have been checking in on your blog on occasion throughout the last couple of years. I just wanted to say how very sorry I am to hear of your mother's sudden passing. What a wonderful gift that you were given to have such a woman of faith as one of the primary shapers in your life. She sounds like she was quite a jewel. What a hard thing it must be to lose that special person. I am praying for you now.

In Christ,
Amber Smith

Sandy said...

Gret, thanks for sharing. I know that my own mother journals daily. I have recently thought that one day these recordings will make a wonderful read. I guess it could be an admonishment to us mothers to do the same. Maybe we could just print our blogs? Love you and thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to read your mother's thoughts and prayers now that she is with her Savior. That is a wonderful spiritual legacy for her children to have, one that will endure through eternity. It encourages me to write more in my journal too.

Joe Humrichous said...

Dear Gretchen, I am still in shock and denial. It just seems unbelievable. During the two weeks that your mom was in the hospital, I kept checking your blog because I wanted to know more details of what was happening. It was so good tonight to read all that you've written. I am really sad and the tears are flowing. When I collect my thoughts, I want to write more specific memories I have of your mom and all she meant to me. Take care. Love, Johanna in Nicaragua

Laurie and company said...

thank you.

an awesome charge to fellow mothers everywhere...

Laurie Young

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Please know that we are praying for you guys. I know your mom loved the Lord and that is an amazing thing.

Jana said...

Gretchen,
I am so sorry to have only just now learned of your Mom's passing into Glory. I had only met her briefly during college but you can always tell a Mom by her children, so she must have been amazing.
Please know that I will be praying for you , your family, and your Dad at this time. What a blessing to know that she is in heaven and one day you will see her again.
Love ya!
Jana