Thursday, May 22, 2008

Summer Book Club

I have this little red journal that I bought at the Guggenheim in which I've listed 100 things I want to do in my life. I wrote this list some years back, and mostly they are rather surface things, like having high tea wearing a hat. Some are a bit more lofty, and others are more achievable. One of them is being in a book club, and I'm just about ready to cross it off the list.

My friends Megan and Heather from church invited me to join their summer book club, and as a founding member I joined them in deciding what we'd read, and the length of time we'd spend reading them. We chose the best books from some of our favorite authors, in different genres. Here's what we came up with:

1. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

2. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

3. Hamlet by Shakespeare

4. Sherlock Holmes short story collection

5. In My Father's House by Corrie Ten Boom

I'm halfway through Mansfield Park right now, and eagerly anticipating our first discussion -- we're having breakfast at Blue Dog Bakery, which is one of my favorite local places here. Strong Illy coffee, artesian breads, and talking books with my dear sisters in Christ -- sounds like a great summer to me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I should start a book club here. Now that we're done with school, I'll look back and make a list of what we read this past school year. There are so many good books still to read!

jillybean said...

Hey, I've been there...to the BDB! :) With a good friend of mine!

GloryandGrace said...

Yay for book clubs! Mansfield Park is third on my list for summer reading :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous idea! I have Mansfield Park upstairs calling to me!