Monday, September 22, 2008

Book-Themed Birthday Party

My sister-in-law Kari threw a first birthday party for her son Max, last weekend. She chose Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? as the theme, because it is Max's favorite book. Guess which Auntie bought that book for him? :) Kari did a great job, and the party turned out really well. I'm so proud of Kari for being such a great mom, and among other things, reading to Max so much. He's sure to grow up loving books and reading with this kind of care! Here are a couple pictures from the party:

If you look closely, you can see the blue horse on the side of Maxy's little cake. He wasn't so sure why EVERYONE was looking at him and singing, but he fell to once the cake was in his reach! (and the candle safely out).

Story time! Kari reads Max's favorite book to all the guests. She has it memorized, and quotes it to him all the time. Maxy was pretty excited and lunged for the red bird page! I just love it when babies love books!







Here is Maxy playing with his present from Uncle Josh -- a real Louisville Slugger with his name on it! Good thing it's still a little bit heavy, or watch out!


Great party, Kari! I wish I had some more pictures of the cake and things, to show the Brown Bear theme, but you get the gist. Have any of you done book-themed birthday parties? I think it's such a fun idea!



6 comments:

sara said...

What a cute idea!!!!!! I have always wanted to teach little homeschool art classes and each class would be themed after a book. But that needs to wait until my kids are older, I think.

You are such a good auntie to buy that cute book :)

Gretchen said...

Sar -- I KNEW you would appreciate all things Eric Carle. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I don't think I've ever been to a book-themed birthday party, but I have a few Jesus Storybook Bibles on my shelf to give away as baby gifts.

Unknown said...

Gracie absolutely loves that book! She actually memorized a good portion of it. And she just loves her new bible, Gretchen. That was the best purchase we've made this year!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun, Gret! Thank you so much for coming!! It wouldn't have been the same without you two!

Kari

Sarah said...

That is such a fun idea! I will have to think about that for Elijah's 2nd. He has a dinosaur book that he adores. :-)
And Kari looks as cute as ever!