Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Sisters' Reading Lists

Here are the reading lists I prepared for two of my little sisters (per their requests). I have done this for them for the past 3 years, or so, and they always read a good portion of the books on the list (but I don't think they've ever finished them). They both adore reading like their older sisters (and mother) -- I am so glad we have that in common! Above is a picture of the 3 of us at Dr. Mohler's house last fall (I felt it was fitting in a post about reading!) Here you go, girls -- I only gave you each 9 books this year, so feel free to re-read an old fave, if you'd like! :)

For Abby (age 14):


~The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (what can I say? It's a classic!)
~The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (in the vein of Hiding Place)

~Dorie, the Girl Nobody Loved by Doris Van Stone (a serious story for her to ponder)
~From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Frank E Basilweiler by E.L. Konigsburg (classic kid's tale!)
~To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (her thick classic to tackle -- how can this book not affect you? Abby will read it, I'm certain, and embrace doing so).
~Hoot by Carl Hiaasen (just for fun -- this is a funny one!)
~The Little Woman by Gladys Aylward (her biography read -- I think it's important for us to read biographies of inspiring people who have walked before us!)
~The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (I've mentioned this one before -- it's right up Abby's alley -- she has terrific taste in children's lit)
~Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright (you need a short summer title)

For Em
ily (age 18):
~Let t
he Nations Be Glad by John Piper (this is her most challenging read, but I am confident she'll bite it right off -- Emily has a heart for missions, and this will be excellent for her)
~Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah (this book is a teen fiction book about a Muslim girl
who chooses to wear the head-covering full time. I usually steer clear of teeny-bopper fiction -- as does Emma -- but this one is pretty interesting for the insight it gives into the mind of a young Muslim woman).
~The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
~12 Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
~The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Dicamilo (light read, but outstanding story)
~Sold!
by Patricia McCormick (here's another exceptional teen fiction story . . . I wasn't sure if I'd ever let my sister's read it, but I think Emma is mature enough for it. This book changed my life, and you can read how here.
~Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss (this was a great recent read for me, and I know Emma will like it!)
~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (of course)

11 comments:

sara said...

I just love your book lists! I will have to write it down and take it to the library with me. I have read Stepping Heavenward in the last year- and love it! I think I need to read it again.

Anonymous said...

Yes!! Thank you so much!!
When you come down this weekend, do you think you could bring any of the ones you have for me to borrow? That would be great!
I'll tell Abby you made one for her too.
-emma

Anonymous said...

PS--I'm glad you put The Penderwicks on the summer reading list you made...it is THE best book in possibly the whole world. It well forever make me think of my wonderful summer last year. Oh man, what an awesome book.
-emma (or as Daniel would call me, Jane)...;)

Anonymous said...

Gret - I agree - great book lists. I have read a few of those books, but it makes me want to go out and get a few more....best thing...I can reserve books for my library ONLINE. Love that tip.

Anonymous said...

Gret - I also have 2 books for you. "the World is Flat" and "The Glass House" I believe it is called. Although I haven't read "flat" I gave it to my father for his birthday and he has been recommending it to everyone. The Glass house is a bit mature, but it's about a girl who grows up in the most awful conditions. She is now a correspondent for MSN and only recently has publicly reveiled her past. VERY INTERESTING and gives a look into what many Americans lives are sadly probably like.

Anonymous said...

you are a cool sister! I have been working on my summer book list...I don't think I stole any of yours but I did read your list....I think I'll keep mine short I mean after all my classes start in July! geez!

Sizzledowski said...

I might actually start reading more thanks to you! Check out my latest blog... it's an ode to you, my dear.

GloryandGrace said...

Can I just say that I look forward to Stepping Heavenward every night as I'm getting ready for bed??

Name: Karen said...

Hey Gretchen...today I came home from the library with....

*The Penderwicks
*Sold
*The Hundred Dresses
*The Miraculous Journey of
Edward Tulane

I want to read one of them (not Sold from what I gather) to them outloud together. Which would you suggest. The kids ages:
5,8,10,12 The boys are the younger two and the girls the older.

Thanks Gretchen!
Karen

Gretchen said...

I just figured out I had not responded to anyone's comments! Sorry!

Sar -- you are sweet . . . thanks, girl! I love rereading books I enjoyed once.

Emma -- I'll bring what I can, but some might be in storage? Not sure. I will bring Abby's too. I went SHOPPING for you tonight!

Geen -- Ooh, lucky with the Library thing. I have pretty much gotten out of the library habit, which is criminal, I know. I pretty much read what I own, or borrow from friends. Silly! And thanks for the book suggestions. I will write them in my planner (there is a place for suggested reading).

Heath -- I read your book list and it is not shabby whatsoever! WOAH!

Szyd -- again, thanks!

Grace -- how far along are you?

Karen -- you are such a dear! You absolutely MUST read them all -- however, I am thinking Miraculous Journey is most delightful for boys AND girls. And I would not suggest Sold! to just any reader -- adults, yes, of course, but you wouldn't want your 12 year old with it. I think the girls will LOVE Penderwicks (read what my sister Emma says in her comment). And of course Hundred Dresses is a must, and it's short, so that one won't take long at all -- perfect age for the girls. Have you read it? It's one of my mother's faves, so she made sure we read it.

Anonymous said...

Gret...I read Sold....oh my gosh. I bawled my eyes out.
Let me just say, when the book started I thought it was set a long time ago, but when they said something about David Beckem, I was like...what?...it is so sad that that kind of thing still goes on!
-emma