I was quite happy with the response I got from you all -- telling me what to read. I have been snapping up some of these left and right, and am still on the hunt for others (Julie, you may be getting another order). I thought I'd publish the suggested list here, in case you are like me, and have gone back to check and recheck what had been recommended. Here they are in the order they were given to me:
1. My cousin Rebecca: The Negotiator by Dee Henderson
2. Sarah Caucutt: Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Lee DeMoss
3. Beth Bloom: The Marquis' Secret by George MacDonald (I am very excited about this one, but I have to read The Fisherman's Lady first -- I have it mooched off BookMooch!)
4. Rachel Amunrud: The Robe by Lloyd Douglas -- I was in this play in college! Can I borrow yours, Rach?
5. My sister, Emily: "The Darling" by Anton Chekov -- a short story I found in this collection (Em, you probably don't remember, but we read "The New England Nun" way back in Social Studies Club!
6. Brittany Powell: Four Perfect Pebbles by Lila Perl -- I've got this one on the way from BookMooch, too.
7. Bookpress: The Means of Escape by Penelope Fitzgerald (by the way,
thanks for the D.C. offer -- we just may have to take you up on that!)
8. My Cousin Elise: Doing Things Right in Matters of the Heart by John Ensor (Mega Dittos! This is a good one!) and also Emily Ever After by May Vanderbilt and Anne Dayton (breaking the rules on suggesting 2, but oh well.)
9. Donette Winterland: Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon
10. My Cousin Paul: The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
11. Rachel (Todd, I believe? My cousin?): Be a People Person by John Maxwell
12. Morning Rose: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
13. Rachel Wind: The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
14. Andrea C.: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
15. Jen Murray: The Miracle of Christmas by John MacArthur -- um, Jen, did you know you were recommending the world's hardest book to find? Apparently your little copy is rather valuable!
16. G-Knee Wetzel: The Fruit of Her Hands by Nancy Wilson
17. My Cousin Corrie: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom -- Major dittos to you! Another one of my favorites!
Thanks for all the contributions, guys! I will be curling up with a book all weekend -- just where I want to be!