Friday, January 11, 2008

What You Told Me to Read

I was quite happy with the response I got from you all -- telling me what to read. I have been snapping up some of these left and right, and am still on the hunt for others (Julie, you may be getting another order). I thought I'd publish the suggested list here, in case you are like me, and have gone back to check and recheck what had been recommended. Here they are in the order they were given to me:

1. My cousin Rebecca: The Negotiator by Dee Henderson

2. Sarah Caucutt: Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Lee DeMoss

3. Beth Bloom: The Marquis' Secret by George MacDonald (I am very excited about this one, but I hav
e to read The Fisherman's Lady first -- I have it mooched off BookMooch!)

4. Rachel Amunrud: The Robe by Lloyd Douglas -- I was in this play in college! Can I borrow yours, Rach?

5. My sister, Emily: "The Darling" by Anton Chekov -- a short story I found in this collection (Em, you probably don't remember, but we read "The New England Nun" way back in Social Studies Club!

6. Brittany Powell: Four Perfect Pebbles by Lila Perl -- I've got this one on the way from BookMooch, too.

7. Bookpress: The Means of Escape by Penelope Fitzgerald (by the way,
t
hanks for the D.C. offer -- we just may have to take you up on that!)

8. My Cousin Elise: Doing Things Right in Matters of the Heart by John Ensor (Mega Dittos! This is a good one!) and also Emily Ever After by May Vanderbilt and Anne Dayton (breaking the rules on suggesting 2, but oh well.)

9. Donette Winterland: Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon

10. My Cousin Paul: The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

11. Rachel (Todd, I believe? My cousin?): Be a People Person by John Maxwell

12. Morning Rose: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham

13. Rachel Wind: The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson

14. Andrea C.: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

15. Jen Murray: The Miracle of Christmas by John MacArthur -- um, Jen, did you know you were recommending the world's hardest book to find? Apparently your little copy is rather valuable!

16. G-Knee Wetzel: The Fruit of Her Hands by Nancy Wilson

17. My Cousin Corrie: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom -- Major dittos to you! Another one of my favorites!

Thanks for all the contributions, guys! I will be curling up with a book all weekend -- just where I want to be!

11 comments:

The Murray Crew said...

Gret - I found it at Half Price Books for 1 stinkin' dollar! It was just mixed in with a random book shelf - right there waiting on me! LOVE IT! If you can't find it I can lend it - I know you value books and would treat it with love. =) Thanks for sharing your list..

Rebecca said...

Gretchen,
I have all of Dee Henderson's books. If you're ever in the mood for a good Christian fiction story, let me know. I'd be happy to lend them to you.

Anonymous said...

Great list! I read The Hiding Place last year and found it charmingly well-written and a great testimony of faith amidst tremendous persecution. That book kept me up many nights!

Brittany said...

I love Dee Hederson's books! I can't loan you my book, it's loaned out to someone else. Sorry. It was cheap, though. I hope you enjoy it.

Rebecca said...

I LOVE your word for the year, Gretchen. Maybe we can encourage one another. When you posted about BookMooch I thought the same thing...it sounds like the book swap I use.

David and Sharon said...

You didn't recommend this book to me directly, but I saw it on your list at some point and I've been reading "Feminine Appeal." Wow, what a challenging book! It's really been helpful to me and I wish I had read it a long time ago. So thank you for indirectly recommending it. Any book I might recommend to you, you've probably already read, but one book I enjoyed reading last year was "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23".

Thanks for sending the power cord. David was suffering withdrawals from his laptop. :)

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I don't know why my comment posted under "about us."

Anonymous said...

Gretchen,
You are an inspiration to me!!!
I love hearing from "young people" who "love reading" and who have such a love for God.
Both my girls were avid readers and still are.
Love ya, Aunt Diane

Donette said...

That was a blast from the past! Did you intentionally use my maiden name? That's fine if you did, but it made me giggle 'cuz I haven't heard it in a while! :) Actually, I prefer my whole married name not to be used (internet creeps and all), but what you did was fine.

I've already picked up a book off the list, and want to check out the book mooch thing, so your blog has been very useful to me! Thanks, Gret!

Anonymous said...

Gret, The Mission of Motherhood book that Rachel Wind suggested is excellent! She suggested it on her blog last year I think and I'm about half way through. I highly recommend it! Looks like you've got lots to read this year.
Love, Annie

Emily said...

We read that in Social Studies?? When? I so don't remember...ha...well..anyway, it's a keeper..

I've read a few of these, but not all of them..

tell me if you like George Macdonald....or have you read anything by him before?...he's one of those authors that makes me feel smart when I finish reading one of his books...I don't know why.
-emily