Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sale on my favorite children's storybook Bible!

I cannot say enough about The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. I realize that I constantly rant and rave about books in general, and children's books in particular, but if you don't remember any others I mention, please remember to check this one out!

I have seen several excellent collections of Bible stories -- each with merit in their own way, and I've seen quite a few bland, pathetic books that just do what they can to make a cheap buck off anyone who might want their kids to have a general knowledge of Bible stories (these often end up donated to the church nursery, where they are torn or chewed to bits). For a while I was a bit turned off on reading Bible stories, mostly because I knew in my own mind the telling and retelling of the same old stories could make the stories seem dull or old. I preferred the dramatic telling of those stories, perhaps enhanced by acting them out. I still enjoy that form of teaching, but since I'm sold out to read-aloud, I am so happy this book has come along to revive my passion for reading Bible stories.

The tagline for this book is "Every story whispers His name", and the stories are anything but boring. Starting with creation, and working through the Old Testament, these Bible stories are told in an amazing God-centered fashion, highlighting the gospel at every turn, and through it all, weaving a cord of Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. The author tells her readers:

"You see, the best thing about this story is--it's true. It takes the whole Bible to tell this story. And at the center of the story there is a baby. Every story in the Bible whispers his name. He is like the missing piece in a puzzle--the piece that makes all the other pieces fit together and suddenly you can see a beautiful picture."

I can't imagine putting an age limit on this book. My friend Christen was reading it to her daughter Hannah, and was personally challenged by the text, and Dr. Tim Keller of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC says "I would urge not just families with young children to get this book, but every Christian."

Are you sold yet? Well, I have good news! The Jesus Storybook Bible is 50% off all week at the bookstore where I work! Yes! Until Saturday, August 11th, this excellent book costs only $8.49. I would be more than happy to pick up a copy for anyone who does not live in the vicinity of a LW Bookstore. Or you could call and order it -- you can access the store's phone number from Southern Seminary's website, you'll just have to click around a bit! I do not get anything from the sale of this book or anything, I just wanted everyone to know about this great deal. You cannot even buy a used copy off Amazon for that price (and while you check that out, to see if it is so, I'll advise you to also notice that all 32 reviews of this book gave it 5 stars!).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered this book on Amazon yesterday after seeing it suggested on Donette's blog. I also purchased several copies of Safely Home, one of my new favorite books.

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for this recommendation AND thanks for all the input on my blog. (about Elijah's fears). You had some wonderful things to say and encouraged me with further thought on some things I've been trying to do. (I've been praying with him and talking scripture but hadn't thought about the stories. Great idea). I appreciate your prayers in this and any other reading you suggest! THANKS FRIEND!!!

The Murray Crew said...

Gret-
Could you bill me for one? I've been hunting for a good one.....I would LOVE one that Miss Gretchen recommends. Seriously, do you have a paypal account, or do you want me to mail ya a check? Just let me know. And Steph, if you happen to be reading this, I can't view your site. =( What's up with that?

sara said...

Wow Gretchen...I will have to get this- thanks for the recommendation!!!

David and Sharon said...

Christen gave us this book for our baby and I love it! I was looking through it one day as I was eating breakfast, and I had to set it aside because I was getting tears in my eyes and was having trouble eating my food! On our way back from Texas, I read several of the stories out loud to David and we were both challenged and encouraged by the stories and the way they are written.

Thanks for your comments on our blog. You are always an encouragement to us. I've been feeling just fine, but I'm a little disturbed by my swollen feet that won't fit into my cute summer sandals. I have much to be grateful though, and there are only about six more weeks until our baby's arrival. It's been a great experience so far.

We would love to see you guys too, and we've talked about a trip to Kentucky every now and then, but summer for us has been busy, and I know it's been for you as well, so we may have to wait until later in the fall.

Love,
Sharon

Gretchen said...

MR -- I'm sure you'll love it!

Steph -- hey, you're welcome, friend. I'll see what others I can come up with.

Jen -- um, check will prolly be better, unless you wanna give me a ring and I can just ring you up over the phone! (hmmmmm . . . how can I get you my phone #??) I guess maybe if you wanted to use a card, you should call me at the bookstore (number accessible through SS website). Either way, drop me an e-mail with your address and I'll ship it out to you. JNeisler4828 at aol.com

Sar -- You have LW stores around you, don't you? I think the sale is at all of them.

Sharon -- I wasn't sure if Christen had gotten you this or not! I know what you mean, I had tears going one time, too! It's just so well written. Glad to hear things are going well. We totally miss you guys. Is Dave thinking of coming for T4G again? You and little baby Taylor will just have to come too!

Donette said...

Gret,
I would love to have like 5 of them. Is that at all possible? I will gladly pay for shipping - just let me know what I owe you. We have a multitude of babies being born in our church right now, and I had already decided to make this book my baby gift, and at that price, I should snatch it up!
You have my email. Let me know . . .

Name: Karen said...

Gretchen,

I would like 4 and will pay for shipping. We had 4 babies born in the past 5 days at our church. I am with Donette---baby gifts!

Thank you.
Karen

Gretchen said...

Nett, Karen,

No problem!!

I will get those out to you today and e-mail you the cost!

Jago said...

Hi, I'm Jago, the illustrator of the Jesus Storybook Bible and I just wanted to pop in and say how great it is to read so many good comments about this book!
Thanks

Devin said...

Gretchen, I would like to have one too, if you are willing! I can send you a check...just email me at devdev@sbcglobal.net and let me know the cost and the address to send it to! Thanks so much for being willing to do this!
Devin

Anonymous said...

Gret,

I believe this new Grandma needs a copy of this for her house! Can you bring a copy this weekend? Can't wait to see you, seems like forever! Caution: we are currently living in a remodeling mess.

Lennis

(PS...I look forward to reading your blog daily, along with the blog of our favorite SBTS student!)

Donette said...

Gret,
How cool that Jago commented! You are getting famous!

My mom was having trouble leaving a comment, so she would like 5 books also. Is that possible - are there enough left? :-)

Let me know.

Gretchen said...

Jago -- WOW! Thanks so much for the great comment! I guess I didn't even mention how much I LOVE the illustrations in this book. John the Baptist eating the bugs and honey was classic -- I laugh every time.

Devin -- yes, I will drop you a e-mail and get your address, and ship it out to you tomorrow if I get your address on time.

Lennis -- SURE! I'll bring you one! (I better write down all these orders!)

Nettie -- you're not kidding, that is so cool! I can't WAIT to tell Tim (the academic buyer I am at war with) that I got so many orders plus the illustrator commented! No problem, I can send your mom 5 copies, I just need her address, plus a way to pay for them. I shredded your card #, so if you or she would call tomorrow and I can put the order through on the phone like we did. You and Karen SHOULD be getting yours tomorrow or the next day! This is so fun!

Donette said...

I got mine today! They are beautiful and I can't wait to give them away! I only hope my friends who are having babies don't buy them first! Oh well, I suppose I could find someone else to give them to.

Thanks so much for offering this deal, Gretchen. I really, really appreciate it!

Name: Karen said...

Got the box today and I LOVE them!!!!!!!!! Thank you! I'll be delivering one Friday w/a meal for one family w/the new baby! Good times, Good times!

Question...is Sally Lloyd Jones, Martin Lloyd Jones wife?

I am also eager to begin reading the Mahaney Girls book. Question...should I read it first and then start my 5 a.m. start time?

Thanks again and I'll send a check right off!

Gretchen said...

Karen,

Maybe at least read the 1st chapter!

Sorry we didn't get to talk long today! :) I was right about the shipping, huh? Pretty fast!

Donette said...

This may be the record of comments on a single post for me!

I was wondering if my friend Debbie got a hold of you. I'm working on really upping your sales this week!

Gretchen said...

Nett -- Yep! I told Debbie to tell you that we should go into business together. You're the greatest! :) Thanks for upping the sales! I also got a professor on campus here to buy 10 copies, and that with orders from my blog, I have sold 33 copies (I think). That is not counting any I buy, or my church might buy for the children's ministry. Not bad, huh!

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Hi, I'm Sally the author of The Jesus Storybook Bible--and I heard about all the wonderful comments and the lovley review and wanted to stop by and say Hi and thank you! (And I'm not Dr David Martyn L-J's wife--or grand-daughter--but I'm asked that a lot--and wrote in my blog about that).
Anyway thanks so much Gretchen and friends. It's so exciting to hear how God is using this book!