Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Up the Sunbeam to the Sun


Yesterday at Grandma's funeral, I was thinking:

I am so blessed. This is true. So blessed to be surrounded by believing family, joining together in song, scripture and worship -- the tie that binds us being Christ, not just Grandma. So blessed to know where Grandma is, and that Grandpa is well taken care of (by his family, and His heavenly Father). So blessed to talk with fascinating people who are related to me: even though I hardly know them, I can love them easily. *

And that is just one moment -- one day. Heap upon that days and days of blessing, provision, good gifts, kind words, precious people, plentiful food, friends, fun. We are so blessed. A warm cup of tea and a good book ought to be enough to keep you singing all day long, and that just a tiny drop of water in the ocean.

How do I respond to all these blessings? Consider this from C.S. Lewis:

“Pleasures are shafts of glory as it strikes our sensibility….I have tried…to make every pleasure into a channel of adoration. I don’t mean simply by giving thanks for it. One must of course give thanks, but I meant something different…Gratitude exclaims, very properly, ‘How good of God to give me this.’ Adoration says, ‘What must be the quality of that Being whose far-off and momentary coruscations are like this!’ One’s mind runs back up the sunbeam to the sun….If this is Hedonism, it is also a somewhat arduous discipline. But it is worth some labour.” (as quoted in, When I Don’t Desire God, by John Piper).

Chew on that this Christmas season. More than just gratitude. And while you're chewing, check out these outstanding and practical suggestions for focusing on Christ at Christmas.


*In light of "rediscovering" some of my family members, I decided to do a series of posts in which I'll focus on or interview a member of the large, wide-spread Benzing family.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

I share the same sentiments, Gretchen. Glad I "found" you online!!!!!!!! It was so great to see you again!

sara said...

Beautiful post, Gret! I love your focus and encouragement! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Gretchen! I am so thankful for my family and as I get older I realize much more how blessed we are. How wonderful as an adult to see my extended family! So different from years ago. :)

Anna

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words to live by especially this Christmas Season. How Mom loved Christmas because it meant family and God's family His Son. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey Gret, It is so easy to take for granite what we have in a family of believers. Think how different it would be if it were not so and we had no hope even our encounters would be without any real substance. I had a wonderful day last Friday taking Dad and my 3 brothers out for the day. It is amazing how alike we are but all live in so diffent areas and circumstances. This is why Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time for me. All children and CEDE being together for the dady. I am mreminded of the line from Scrooge..." we shall be together for the whole day" DAD

Anonymous said...

sorry forgot to sign my name :)

Anonymous said...

try once more Aunt Diane

Carrie said...

Great post and a great picture! I wonder who took it...

Emily said...

Awesome post!!
Plus, I'm looking forward to the Benzing family news!!
-emily ♥

Name: Karen said...

I love the idea of the series of posts on your family! what a great idea. Christan heritage is such a treasure and one to be so thankful for!

Love you Gretchen! Hey, by the way...I'm going to Thailand in Feb. to work with ladies that have come out of..."SOLD" Thanks for the recommendation of that book!

Unknown said...

Excellent post, Well said. I love the quote from C. S. Lewis. It was a blessing to be with the Benzing clan again. What a tribute to God and a godly woman.
Paul Dziadul

Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

Just stumbled on your post--this is one of my all time favorite Lewis quotes and is the basis for my own blog. I love your take on it!

Shaunie