Friday, November 16, 2007

Shout Out

I'm inspired by GirlTalk's post on Christmas picks for kiddos (also check out their recommendations for men and teens -- I've been going nuts trying to keep up my GirlTalk section at the bookstore to feature these books.) Check back soon for my Christmas book recommendations. There really is nothing better to buy for Christmas than an excellent book!

I also want to give a shout out to my favorite Seminary President for his recent posts on Children's Storybook Bibles. You really ought to check out his suggestions on reading Bible stories to your children: "Respect Their Desire to Read and Learn." My favorite point is #2:

"Read in a clear voice and avoid both excessive drama and a lifeless reading. A listless and lazy reader will lose the child's attention, but an excessively dramatic reader will make the child grow accustomed to drama -- often at the expense of thoughtful content and retention. You want the child to be fully drawn into the story, but you also want the child to be thinking about the story and its meaning."

Umm, did Dr. Mohler walk by children's church the other day while Josh and I were teaching? Sounds like it. Hey, the Jesus Storybook Bible is pretty exciting! I guess we all have our own definition of "excessive drama".

2 comments:

Emily said...

Excessive drama = Gretchen Neisler....lol....hahahahaha!
I ♥ you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm glad to see R. Alcorn's books recommended on girltalk. I've enjoyed his adult books and will have to look into his books for kids. We've also found The Jesus Storybook Bible and The Big Picture Bible to be excellent. I just reserved The Child's Story Bible from the library, as it is for grade-school children.